Dumb, not good enough, ugly, fat, never good enough - - they go on and on into a downward spiral to the pit of Hell. Dragging me into a low state of mind. Isolating in my thoughts and staying alone in my head because I can’t get the words out of my mouth to describe what’s happening. Captivated in self-destroying views and feeling like there is no way out.
STUCK- PARALYZED with the heavy chain on bondage on me.
Pause – feel this state of mind.
This is when I have a choice, it’s one of two things for me:
- Stay, wallow, keep destroying myself – of which I’ve done very well in the past.
- Shake it off, lift the heaviness off, take action and set myself FREE – I’m getting much better at doing this.
It is a daily fight to engage in positive, fight back thinking so I keep myself free from the negative ties of the past. There are times when several days will pass and I’m doing just fine. But, then just like dandelions they pop up out of nowhere and seem to stay around too long.
Here are some active habits I work on daily to keep these pesky thoughts at bay.
- Speak God’s Name Out Loud – as soon as I wake and have a conscious thought I work on saying “God, be with me today”.
- Quiet Time with God – taking time to read in the Bible and a devotional. Making sure during this time I quite my thoughts to let God do what He needs to do in me.
- Prayer – praying as much as I can through the entire day. For my family, others and myself. Taking all my thoughts to God in prayer. Taking my worries to prayer. Taking my joys and successes to prayer. Everything goes to prayer.